The Academy was the foremost intellectual institution of modern Greece, its mission
being to promote the Arts and Sciences. The first discussions regarding its establishment took place during the
meeting of the National Assembly at Argos (1826). The building, designed by the Danish architect Theophilos Hansen,
began construction in 1859 on a site ceded by the Petraki Monastery and the municipality of Athens, with funds
offered for the purpose by the Greek public benefactor, Baron Simon Sinas, which is why it is also known as the
'Sinaea Academia'. The Academy began to operate in 1926, and is constituted by three departments, Exact Sciences,
Fine Arts Letters and the Moral and Political Sciences.
The Academy is the subject of the sixth gold Olympic coin. The intention here, is to highlight the
premise that in the city of Athena, the Olympic Games should not only be the most important athletic event,
but also to be accompanied by intellectual and cultural activities, equivalent to the style and character
of the city that was the birthplace and the matrix for the revival of the modern Olympic Games of 1896.